After the ending of the game a new game will start. This is called New Game Plus (NG+). New Game Plus begins after you have confronted the Old One in the End Game area. The game begins again, allowing you to keep most of your gear and items, but with increased difficulty. After NG+ is completed, the game will continue onto NG+2 with slightly increased difficulty again. This continues all the way to "New Game Plus 5" (NG+++++).
- After the sixth playthrough is completed, the game will no longer increase in difficulty after it restarts. NG+6 and any subsequent playthroughs are a repeat of NG+5. It is a common misconception that NG+7 is the highest difficulty.
- The most significant change is between the first playthrough and NG+.
The Newgame lifecycles
|Playthrough||Title||Full Title||Description||Enemy HP/ Souls|
|1st||NG||"New Game"||This is the first playthrough of the game.||Regular NG values|
|2nd||NG+||"New Game +"||Begins after beating the game for the 1st time.||Enemy HP and Souls increase by inconsistent amounts.|
|3rd||NG+2||"New Game ++"||Begins after beating the game for the 2nd time.||Enemy HP and Souls are 7% greater than NG+ values. (Assuming Neutral WT)|
|4th||NG+3||"New Game +++"||Begins after beating the game for the 3rd time.||Enemy HP and Souls are 10% greater than NG+ values. (Assuming Neutral WT)|
|5th||NG+4||"New Game ++++"||Begins after beating the game for the 4th time.||Enemy HP and Souls are 14% greater than NG+ values. (Assuming Neutral WT)|
|6th||NG+5||"New Game +++++"||Begins after beating the game for the 5th time.||Enemy HP and Souls are 19% greater than NG+ values. (Assuming Neutral WT)|
A simple way to keep track of what NG(n+) you are currently on is to count the number of Ring of Sincere Prayer you have picked up. This Ring is found only once in each playthrough, and it's also a forced pickup from the Maiden Astraea Archstone, so it's one of the best indicators available.
What will be carried over
The following items will carry over from one NG lifecycle to the subsequent NG lifecycle (e.g. from NG+ to NG++)
- All Consumables and Upgrade Stones. This includes Eye Stones , which enables you to summon phantoms in 1-1
- All Demon's Souls
- All Weapons , Armor and Shields
- All Miracles and Spells, your memorized ones will also remain the same
- World Tendency
- Character Tendency
- Soul Level and Stats
- Worlds 1-3, 1-4 and False King will be accessible without defeating any Archdemons (after completing 1-1 and 1-2, however)
The items mentioned above include those stored with Stockpile Thomas.
What will not be carried over
- All NPCs will reset to their default position, this includes all who have died for whatever reason.
- All Keys will reset to their default position.
- All doors and unlockable areas will reset.
- Note - If you have the World Tendency requirement to open an area such as the execution grounds in 1-1 (Where Miralda is) when you complete the game, upon starting NG+ you will find that area open already. Although the door will have shut when you finished the game, the game will take into account your WT upon starting NG+ and will unlock/open any areas as normal.
Checklist before starting the next NG+ cycle
A list of suggested actions to do before starting over:
|Nexus||Souls||The Maiden in Black will not allow you to spend souls with her to increase your soul level until you have defeated Phalanx again||Phalanx|
|Nexus||Mephistopheles Quests||Near end game you can shift your character to black tendency so that Mephistopheles appears in the Nexus (first floor). All killed NPCs will be reset in NG+ therefore I suggest doing the Mephistopheles Quests just right before you will enter NG+||BCT|
|Nexus||Pure Faintstone||Get Faith stat to 20 and speak to Worshiper of God to receive a Pure Faintstone (this is the only guaranteed way to receive a Pure Faintstone). Note that immediately upon entering NG+ you can immediately receive another Pure Faintstone from her.||Saint Urbain must not be killed|
|1-2||Demonbrandt||Challenge the Old King Doran to get the Demonbrandt. Together with the Soulbrandt Blacksmith Ed can forge them into Northern Regalia. You need the Mausoleum Key from Ostrava, otherwise the you will not be able to open the Gate.||Mausoleum Key|
|2-1||Upgrade Stones||Kill the ore bag wielding Scale Miners to obtain a variety of upgrade stones||-|
|2-1||Advanced weapon upgrades||Make sure that you perform any weapon upgrades that you want to do as you will not be able to do them in the next game cycle until you have unlocked Blacksmith Ed and given him the Red Hot Demon's Soul||Red Hot Demon's Soul|
|2-2||Upgrade Stones||Clear the lizard pit four times to obtain a variety of upgrade stones.||-|
|4-1||White Arrows||Make sure that you get all White Arrows from Sparkly the Crow. Of course you can trade all other items that you have not yet traded.||-|
|4-1||Colorless Demon's Soul||Trade the Gold Mask & Talisman of God with Sparkly the Crow for one Colorless Demon's Soul a piece||-|
|All worlds||Upgrade Stones||Kill the remaining Crystal Lizards throughout the worlds. Also kill the One Time NPC Black Phantoms in each world.||-|
|All worlds||Primeval Demons||Obtain a Colorless Demon's Soul in each world by killing the corresponding Primeval Demon. You will need -2 or -3 Black World Tendency, otherwise the Primeval Demon will not appear.||PBWT|
|All Worlds||Black Phantoms||If you want to shift your Character Tendency towards white, try to obtain pure black world tendencies and kill the corresponding Named Black Phantom of each world.||PBWT|
|Any World||Final Archdemon||When you have completed four Worlds, consider using your accumulated souls to level up before destroying the final Archdemon in the last World. Since you won't be able to raise your soul level until you defeat the Phalanx again. In terms of finishing the game, it doesn't matter what order you complete the Worlds.||-|