Stage - 5-3
Soul - Pureblood Demon's Soul
Special - Self Heal if Garl is still alive
It is said that Maiden Astraea discovered the truth about God’s existence - or lack thereof - and thus explains why she accepted the Soul of a Demon in order to ease the troubled abandoned. Hers is ironically referred to as the most impure Soul. Yet still, Garl will never leave her side.
Enemy ID and Stats
The information below reflects the game's hard programmed values for enemy stats and values. However, these values don't always align precisely with values seen in game. This is due to Special Effect Multipliers (similar to NPCs) and World Tendency Multipliers.
Special Effect Multipliers
Special Effect Multipliers are blanket multipliers that are applied to NPCs, including Black Phantoms. For example, if the HP multiplier is "x2", the NPC will have twice the health that the player would have if they had identical stats and equipment. The NPC's attack multipliers are applied before the damage is affected by the player's defenses and resistances. Damage received by the NPC is slightly more complicated. When the player does damage to the NPC, the raw damage is put into a formula and computed against the NPC's resistances. These resistances are multiplied by the values in the Physical/Magic/Fire Defense columns before calculation. Afterward, the remaining damage is reduced by resistances, it is then multiplied by the Damage reduction multipliers in the Physical/Magic/Fire Reduction columns. The output damage remaining is the dealt to the NPC.
|Physical Attack||Magic Attack||Fire Attack|
Damage Reduction and Resistance
|Physical Reduction||Magic Reduction||Fire Reduction||Physical Defense||Magic Defense||Fire Defense|
|Poison Resistance||Plague Resistance||Bleed Resistance|
Option #1 - Saint Astraea
When you enter the area, you should see three worshipers that are too pre-occupied to bother with attacking you. Kill them and proceed to the right cliff, where there are several more worshipers and a short wooden walkway. Kill them all (they will eventually turn on you when you attack her) and move to the edge of the walkway. From this safe point, you can shoot arrows at Maiden Astraea (Saint Astraea) without any fear of retaliation. This is the easiest way to kill her, assuming that the combination of your bow, arrows, and Strength and Dexterity stats are strong enough to outpace her healing spells. Just keep pumping arrows into her as fast as you can.
After Astrea dies, Garl Vinland will stand with his head lowered, and will not engage you unless attacked. You can either fight him, or just load your current game and he will be dead. His armor and shield will be available at his spawning point.
Option #2 - Garl Vinland
See Garl Vinland for strategies. If you kill Garl Vinland first, you can casually walk up to Maiden Astraea and talk to her. Instead of fighting, she commits suicide, telling you that she can no longer defend herself and that you can have your precious Demon's Soul. If you attack her instead, she will attack you with the God's Wrath and try to guilt trip you if you are close enough to her and have directly attacked her.
After you beat Maiden Astraea, and you have Pure White World Tendency , you can go back to 5-3 and fight Black Phantom Garl Vinland , who drops an important trophy weapon, the Bramd. Also note that if you left Garl Vinland alive, Black Phantom Garl will be in the way of his drops after a reload or revisit.
All dialogue text is © Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
- When entering
- Go forth, Garl Vinland.
- May you be unharmed.
- Leave us, slayer of Demons.
- This is a sanctuary for the lost and wretched.
- There is nothing here for you to pillage or plunder.
- Please, leave quietly.
- If attacked
- This is our home.
- We have done no harm to you.
- Dear God, have mercy.
- Is not your abandonment of us punishment enough?
- How long must we weather this cruel fate?
- Cruel Lord… What more can you possibly take from us?
- Dear Lord… You are too cruel.
- You have abandoned us, is that not punishment enough?
- If you talk to her while Garl is alive
- Please leave quietly. Lest you face the wrath of my loyal follower.
- If you killed Garl Vinland
- You killed him, didn't you?
- Very Well, I can no longer resist you.
- Do as you like. Take your precious Demon soul.
- Garl Vinland
- You will not turn back, will you?
- I shall let no harm come to dearest Astraea.
- May you rot in the deepest depths of this swamp.
- How dare you persist in intruding upon our haven.
- You abandoned us long ago; what right do you have?
- We live humble lives. Leave us be!
- If you fall into the swamp
- Plunge to your death…
- And let the acid melt the flesh from your bones!
- Garl Vinland when killed
- Dearest Astraea… I have failed you.
- If Garl Vinland kills you
- Ye covetous ones, let it be known.
- We shall defend our heart and home to the death.
Voiced by: Clare Corbett
1. Maiden Astraea will cast a healing spell at certain points, which also coincides with her dialogue, but it will only heal about 20% of her health.