Lord Rydell is among the many prisoners in Latria, put there by the possessed old man. Rydell is a phantom in great desperation to retrieve a precious artifact from his corpse. It is said that he is sometimes referred to as “Little Allant,” causing great speculation about his connection to both the King and Ostrava.
NG: 2300 (BP)
- Lord Rydell appears as a Blue Phantom and is locked in the Tower of Latria (3-1), 2nd Floor, West, banging on his cell door and yelling for help.
Note - This information was captured directly from the game data. Please note that the stat levels often to not correlate to actual health or performance levels as they would the player due to special effects applied in the background.
|Right Hand 1||Right Hand 2||Left Hand 1||Left Hand 2|
|Phosphorescent Pole +5||-||Iron Knuckles +5||-|
|-||Black Leather||Chain Gloves||Hard Leather Boots|
|Arrow Type||Arrow Number||Bolt Type||Bolt Number|
Ring and Spells
|Ring 1||Dull Rat's Ring|
Special Effect Multipliers
Special Effect Multipliers are blanket multipliers that are applied to NPCs, including Black Phantoms. For example, if the HP multiplier is "x2", the NPC will have twice the health that the player would have if they had identical stats and equipment. The NPC's attack multipliers are applied before the damage is affected by the player's defenses and resistances. Damage received by the NPC is slightly more complicated. When the player does damage to the NPC, the raw damage is put into a formula and computed against the NPC's resistances. These resistances are multiplied by the values in the Physical/Magic/Fire Defense columns before calculation. After the remaining damage is reduced by resistances, it is then multiplied by the Damage reduction multipliers in the Physical/Magic/Fire Reduction columns. The output damage remaining is the dealt to the NPC.
|Form||HP||MP||Equip Load||Stamina Recovery||Stamina Damage|
|Form||Physical Attack||Magic Attack||Fire Attack|
Damage Reduction and Resistance
|Form||Physical Reduction||Magic Reduction||Fire Reduction||Physical Defense||Magic Defense||Fire Defense|
|Form||Poison Resistance||Plague Resistance||Bleed Resistance|
- NG+ Multipliers are the factors by which an NPC's Special Effect Multipliers are adjusted when entering NG+.
- In NG+, each NPC and stat has a unique adjustment. These values are shown below
- In NG++, all stats are adjusted increased by 7% from the NG+ values.
- In NG+++, all stats are adjusted increased by 10% from the NG+ values.
- In NG++++, all stats are adjusted increased by 14% from the NG+ values.
- In NG+++++, all stats are adjusted increased by 19% from the NG+ values.
|Form||Physical Attack||Magic Attack||Fire Attack|
Damage Reduction and Resistance
|Form||Physical Defense||Magic Defense||Fire Defense|
Pure White World Tendency
- Get his cell key from the top of the 1st chain tower in World 3-2 in Pure White world tendency.
- Gives the Dull Rat's Ring as a reward for freeing him.
- Once you talked to him and obtained the Dull Rat's Ring , the gate blocking 2nd Floor East unlocks. From the 1st floor near the exit door to the arrow machine, there is a door and stairway which goes up to this previously closed floor. Most of the cells in this area are locked until you fight through the 3 guards and get to the last room, where you can see Rydell's corpse with a broken Phosphorescent Pole. On his corpse is the key to the remaining cells, and his Legendary Soul.
- When killed after freeing him, he drops nothing — no Phosphorescent pole, and the closed area of 2nd Floor East will remain closed.
- Attacking him, even if you do not kill him, will also cause 2nd Floor East to remain closed.
Pure Black World Tendency
- Appears outside his cell on the landing as a Black Phantom
- When killed, he drops the Phosphorescent Pole
- Freeing Rydell does not stop him from appearing as a Black Phantom later.
- Rydell does not have to be freed from his cell to be appear as a Black Phantom when Pure Black World Tendency is achieved.
- If his (empty) cell is unlocked during Pure Black World Tendency , he will be back inside once it shifts towards White again, and will not leave before being talked to.
- There are two spellings for his name in the Asian releases: "Rydyell" and "Rydell." When he speaks, he refers to himself as "Rydyell," and that's the spelling that the English subtitles use. However, the loading screen with Rydyell's image reads "Rydell," which is probably a typo. The Atlus North American release of the game changed the text to "Rydell," and the "Official Guide" for the Deluxe Edition of the Atlus release also uses the name "Rydell."
- While he remains in his locked cell (in Blue Phantom form), your attacks can't hurt him, nor does he even acknowledge your attacks, so it's safe to smash debris and/or kill enemies directly in front of his cell. Once you unlock his cell, he'll respond to attacks just like most other NPCs , so don't be careless.
- In New Game + you can cast Soulsucker on him behind the bars, and receive between 2000-3500 souls. You can do this anytime, this can also be repeated. However if you later free him he will attack you.
BP Rydell has decent magic defense and akin to Scirvir, The Wanderer , he rolls frequently when he is being subjected to projectile attacks. He attacks with the Phosphorescent Pole , which has an extremely powerful magic damage component to it. It will damage you through your shield, unless you use the Dark Silver Shield. When he uses it 1-handed, it is a slow weapon, but it swings out rather wide and Rydell seems to have an extremely large amount of stamina to continue his swings with. He is most dangerous when he is 2-handing it, since it is stronger and faster attacking as a pole weapon. He does not heal or use spells, so you can take your time. At 30% health his defense for both physical and magical attacks will increase, due to his Dull Rat's Ring.
Occasionally one of his swings will end in a pause, allowing you to stab him in the back. Most of his swings are slow, allowing you to roll and attack, but they come one right after the other requiring you to stay on your toes.
A melee alternative if you have a fast moving character and don't want to fight him in the close quarters of the corridor landing, is to lead him downstairs. Go down to the first floor and kill the Prisoner Horde enemy and all the canned prisoners, and smash up all the barrels, chairs, etc, to make it easy to dodge and roll. Lure Rydell and he will follow down the stairs and there is plenty of room to roll and backstab and then dodge behind the archways to heal or recover. If you wear the Thief's Ring , you can run out the door towards the arrow ballista (break line of sight to him) and he will start walking back towards/up the stairs, for more backstab opportunities.
A super easy melee strategy is to equip the Graverobber's Ring , walk forward to about the middle of the walkway leading to Rydell, hit him with an arrow for aggro, then start running back to the stairwell. Before long, he'll give up the chase, then you can run up behind him and backstab. From there, just run away again, he'll de-aggro and repeat the process until he's dead.
For strong characters, a good melee approach is to repeatedly knock down Rydell with the Meat Cleaver. Just stand over him, and each time he begins to get up, knock him down again. With the right timing, you might kill him without ever being hit yourself. Keep the Warding spell on, just in case you do get hit, wear the Eternal Warrior's Ring to keep up your stamina, and bring plenty of grass and spice to keep your meters full. Just be careful to avoid getting into a tight position where you can't swing the Meat Cleaver. If he gets into a narrow corner, you might have to let him get up and move the fight back out in the open (where you found him standing) before continuing.
If you move back into the stairway corridors his attacks often get hindered on the tight walls. Using a spear and heavy shield (magic damage hurts, tower shield is usable but dodging is best) slowly moving back through the stairway corridors is a slightly slower method for those without equipment found later on. Since it is in a corridor, just jumping back does enough and get some quick stabs from behind the shield.
A super easy melee strategy is to toss Soul Remains every so often and just run up and slash away at him. Make sure you time yourself so as to not get too close during one of his swings at the remains.
The easiest method may simply be the Clever Rat's Ring and a good bow. By firing arrows at him from near the stairwell he'll never really get a lock on you, and after a short jog will return to his beginning position, allowing you to continue firing. This method will be extremely slow, but it will get you the kill if you have enough arrows.
A slow, but safe, method is to equip your Graverobber's Ring, push up against the wall on the landing opposite where Black Phantom Rydell is standing and hit him with Poison Cloud or Death Cloud a couple dozen times. Similarly one can also equip the Graverobber's Ring and approach Rydell slowly. You should be able to target him without alerting him. When done, hit him with a Poison Cloud and watch his hp dwindle. Run should he give chase - he will give up after a short pursuit. It takes three casts to kill him (6-7 casts in New Game +).
A really quick way to kill him is to equip the Graverobber's Ring and Dragon Bone Smasher. If you pass the last wall, he will attack you. Give him a hard Punch (R2) and he gets knocked back. Now run to him and use Soulsucker as he stands up.
Harvesting soul glitch
When left in his cage, he can be soul sucked through the bars and never die. This allows you to harvest souls from him for as long as you want.
All dialogue text is © Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
- Heard screaming
- Please, help me!
- Confronted behind bars
- Well! You are a sane one, aren't you?
- My name is Rydell. Please, liberate me from this cell.
- I have precious little time. I must retrieve an article from my corpse.
- As you can see, the only thing that remains of me is my soul.
- My body is trapped in another cell; I fancy it a fine rotten mess by now.
- I've no interest in my corporeal flesh, but I left upon my person a keepsake of my late wife.
- I will soon fade into the beyond. My only wish is to do so near that token of my beloved.
- A retainer to the King once held the key to this cell.
- That ebony swine with his gluttonous, swaying belly…
- After being released
- Why! Thank you! Thank you kind soul.
- Please take this fine piece of work.
- Besides, I have no use for it now.
- Ahh, and thus begins my final, eternal rest…
- When attacked
- What's gone wrong with you!? In the Lord's name, stop!
- I do not wish to harm anyone!
- Especially not you, my kind saviour!